Sunday, July 27, 2014

The End Of Windows Defender

I recently had a rather rampant piece of Adware that was effecting Chrome, and causing several miscellaneous words to underline, and hyperlink their way to ad sites. I eventually found the location of the executable, and submitted it to Windows Defender (The Anti Virus I was using at the time).
 
What I got back shocked me. A result of "Not detected". This means that the executable had been previously submitted, and had been found by the Microsoft researchers to not be harmful.
 
Curious about the result, I decided to submit the same file to several online virus scanners - All of which detected the file as harmful by no less than 15 separate anti virus scanners, none of which were Windows Defender.  
 
Curious, I decided to check some previous submissions of mine. The early ones (Back in the Windows 7 / Early Windows 8 period) had all subsequently been added within a few days of my submission. The later ones were either Not Detected or simply No Scan Result Available. Keep in mind that both of those submissions are picked up by the majority of other Anti-Virus's (AVG, F-Secure, Malwarebytes, McAfee, Etc), so I decided to switch.
 
Having 3 known virus files at my disposal, I decided to look around to various free alternatives. I used to use AVG when they were still located at http://free.grisoft.com/ before they went corporate, but they have since severely dwindled in quality. Norton was out of the question (Any tech-savvy person will know how useless and bloatware-esque it is), so I decided to try Malwarebytes. I downloaded their free version located here (16.5MB), and it quickly scanned my PC, effortlessly finding the 3 files I had, as well as some registry entries that the Adware had created. Happy, I acquired a premium version (Real Time Protection), and went merrily on my way.

Friday, May 23, 2014

Convert Number To Month Name In Excel

A simple Excel function to convert a digit to a month name

The first letter of the month (Eg: "N" of "November" for 9)
=TEXT(DATE(2000,A1,1),"MMMMM")

The complete month name (Eg: "November" for 9)
=TEXT(DATE(2000,A1,1),"MMMM")

The abbreviation of the month name (Eg: "Nov" for 9)
=TEXT(DATE(2000,A1,1),"MMM")

Thank to this thread.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

CSS equivalent of the center tag

From: <center>dataHere</center> to
To: <div style="margin: auto; text-align: center;">dataHere</div>

Thanks to Isaksen from Stack Overflow

Online Wh to mAh Converter

Just a useful little utility :)

Wh (Eg: 4.44):
V (Eg: 3.7):
mAh:

Formula: mAh = Wh * 1000 / V

<script type="text/javascript">
function convertWhtomAh()
{
var WhValue = document.getElementById('convertWh').value;
var VValue= document.getElementById('convertV').value;
var result = (WhValue * 1000) / VValue;
void(document.getElementById('convertmAh').value = result);
}
</script>

HTML Font Size Conversion

Whilst getting rid of font tags today, I needed an easy reference point to find what size rating in one coding format was equivalent to another (Eg: Is <font size="1"> the same as <span style = "font-size: 8px;"> or... ?) and came across this fantastic chart!

http://www.trishasdesignstudio.com/font-size-conversion-chart.asp

Monday, January 13, 2014

How To Rename Google Maps Saved Locations

Whilst saving various places on Google Maps for navigation on my Android phone, I got annoyed that the phone only listed the address (Which gets confusing when you have a list)

To rename them to something more friendy, do the following:

1.) Star a place as per usual.
2.) Browse to https://www.google.com/bookmarks/
3.) Click "Edit" next to the one you want to change.
4.) Change the top line (That currently has the address) to the name you want.
5.) Click "Save"

Your Android device will automatically sync, and you will now see the user-friendly name when navigating :)

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Skype - Ultra High CPU Usage

The past few days I've noticed that my office laptops Skype was permanently sitting at +- 90%+ CPU usage. Since I use Skype for work, not using it was not exactly a viable option, and restarting it (And updating to the latest version) didn't help.

I did, however - Find a solution!

1.) Download Process Explorer
2.) Run it
3.) Right click on Skype, and click "Properties"
4.) Click "Threads" (Ignore the potential message about something not being up to date)
5.) Sort by CPU usage by clicking the 2nd tab from the left twice.
6.) Find that a single thread is using all the CPU (For me it was Skype.exe+0x705c although it's also known to be Skype.exe+0x7074)
7.) Click the offending thread, and click  "Kill"

Skype's CPU usage will drop to what it's meant to be (0% average for me), with no visible side effects.

Seems like Microsoft have some threading bug with Skype that's existed for awhile :)